Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nisidotatos

Plastic bag or paper bag for seed storage

nisidotatos
11 years ago

Hello,

i am keeping my heirloom seeds.

I would like to learn what is best between those two.

1)To keep them in small plastic sealed bags?

2)Or in small paper bags/envelopes?

Thank you

Comments (25)

• nil13
    11 years ago

I keep my seeds in paper so any excess moisture can be released easily. I make little origami envelopes, sometimes out of the seed packet. Seed packets are generally huge compared to the quantity of seed. I also keep my seed in the frig with dessicant.

One of these days I'm going to get around to making a tutorial for those little origami envelopes.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I believe this is the envelope suggested. Al

• nil13
    11 years ago

That drawing seems a lot more complicated then what I use, but I am going to have to give it a try.

• nil13
    11 years ago

Now that I have made it that envelope is pretty easy. I like that it allows you to use paper that isn't square. I think I'll try using it for big seeds that need a big envelope.

Here is a folding diagram of the one I use. I like it because it forms a pouch that can be easily opened and closed. Because the opening ends in a point you can gently shake seeds out very accurately.

• nil13
    11 years ago

That drawing seems a lot more complicated then what I use, but I am going to have to give it a try.

11 years ago

In my kitchen I use "counter fold" wax paper sheets as used in restaurants which dispense like Kleenex. These sheets are ideal for making these envelopes as they are the right size and are already folded once. They are also remarkably tough. Al

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

i use tiny ziploc plastic bags that are used for crafts like bead storage. you can get them at michael's or jo-anns. label with a permanent marker. i store the baggies in airtight glass canisters with dessicant at the bottom. i have viable seed from 12 years ago. i also store regular seed packets in these canisters.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Paper is probably superior to plastic, because paper would let the seeds breathe if there were any extra moisture. But both of them seem to work well for me.

I've been storing all seeds in a refrigerator drawer in little paper or plastic envelopes since the mid-1980s (mostly paper though). I throw extra dessicants in the seed drawer. A refrigerator and freezer are dessicating anyway, which is probably good for most seeds. The real advantage is that the cooler temps slow the metabolic rate of the seed embryo. I regularly use seeds that are 20 years old or so and they germinate fine.

• mccommas
    11 years ago

I use paper lunch bags. Seems to work well.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

A bit of a tangent perhaps, a famous seed company says each seed item is stored according to the species' need

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Paper for me, please.

Also a fan of the little self-made folded envelopes, the style of the drawing nil posted. More size-appropriate and easier to repeatedly open/close than a bought envelope. Great way to reuse junk mail!

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

Thanks for the diagrams. Just tried Calistoga's design and got nowhere. Any chance you could do a short video of hands actually folding this and post it to YouTube?

I've been using a variation of Nil13's design, using tape to make a reusable seal.

11 years ago

This will take a few posts, but I just made one and took pics.

I used a sheet of paper from my son's backpack. Fold like this first.

11 years ago

Cut off the excess.

11 years ago

Fold 2 corners in like this.

11 years ago

Slip one corner inside the other.

11 years ago

Fold what you just did to flatten it out. Now you can open the top.

11 years ago

After you've filled your envelope, begin to fold it closed.

11 years ago

Finish by folding the flap that's left into the folds at the bottom. Press to crease everything into place.

• ashleyzone6b
    11 years ago

Thank you purpleinopp for taking the time to post those how-to pictures

11 years ago

You're welcome. A great way to "use" junk mail!

• mccommas
    11 years ago

I use those lunch paper bags and store them in a wood box in garage. One bag will do me for YEARS. Its plenty pretty cold in the garage. My frig is for food, not seeds.

11 years ago

Mcc., excellent point. Those lunch bags are extremely inexpensive and I do use some of them for seeds that are too big or that I've saved so many that they won't fit in a junkvelope.

• mccommas
    11 years ago

I should have said one pack of those bags, rather than one bag (of bags) will last years.

11 years ago

The folded paper design I posted earlier, I use only for temporary storage or for mailing seeds. If you are having trouble folding it, it is usually because you do not turn it over as directed in picture #3. For long time storage I use the plastic air tight containers used for diabetic test strip storage. They are a little smaller than the old 35MM film shipping cases. Dr. Norman Deno in his many years of seed experimenting found very little difference in life expectancy between seed at a constant room temperature and that at refrigerator temperature for most seed. Al