Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dogwood seeds

Posted by djhawk31 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 07 at 9:32

I have around 400 dogwood seeds ready to go. My question is ... Can I put them in the refrigerator now and start them in my greenhouse in february or should I wait until spring.I live in central pa. thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dogwood seeds

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 15, 07 at 11:10

Can you tell us which dogwood?

Cornus sanguinea (Common Dogwood) and cornus alternifolia (Pagoda dogwood) , sow 3-5 months @ 70F, followed by 3 months @ 39F, move to 70F for germination.

Most of the others will germinate skipping the first moist warm period and going straight to the moist chill, but the length of time for the suggested chill can vary from 3 - 5 months depending on which dogwood tree.

o

morz, they are the common white dogwood.

o

Tue, Oct 16, 07 at 10:47

OK, maybe we could narrow it down this way if you picked your own seeds.

Common dogwood/cornus sanguinea is a multi stemmed large shrub rather than tree-like and has blue-black fruit. Cornus alternifolia/pagoda is a large tree and has purple black fruit. Both of these would do better with an extended warm moist period before the moist chill.

Cornus florida is another of our native trees, the fruit on it is red when ripe. Wash seeds, sow 5 months @ 39F, move to 70F for germ

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 18, 08 at 8:26

Can I bump this post up? I have the same question and I think I have found seeds from Cornus Florida. Are we talking about sowing into (and what type) soil, putting in the fridge (to obtain the 39 degrees F, then outside (GH? for the 70 degrees?

Do you have to do anything to the seed, remove any of the red flesh? Or is that the actual seed?

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 16:07

no one answered my question so I'm bumping again, I'd really like to try to grow these.

o

No one answered because no one knows. Stop bumping the thread. Search the internet. You'll be surprised what you can find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Internet

o

Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 0:07

rjinga, yes, Wash seed thoroughly to remove all flesh -which can contain inhibitors to germination...that's true of most fleshy berries/fruits, you want to get the pulp off.

If you think what you have is cornus florida, it isn't likely you could sow outdoors and still get 5 months chill in your zone now. You don't necessarily have to put in soil/pots if refrigerator space is a consideration, you could put them in a tiny zip lock with just a tsp or two (depending on how many seeds) of moist sterile vermiculite or moist sterile sand, date the bag, take it out and sow (approx 3/8" deep) entire contents after the required number of weeks chilling.

And I'm glad you 'bumped'...I didn't see your post in Dec....suspect no one else noticed it tacked on either.

o

can i have some? :P

o

Nope. This is a 2 year old thread. I doubt they are even here anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here