Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rudbecia Tiger Eye

Posted by a.girl.named.max 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 10:01

Happy fall all,

I'm a newbie to gardening and this forum. I purchased several Rudbecia Tiger Eye plants this year. The label said they are perrenials however I've found conflicting info that indicates they might be annuals.

Does anyone know if these beautiful plants are annuals or perrenials in zone 4a?

Can the seeds be saved? I've read the posts and tips on saving seeds in general but couldn't find anything specifically about Rudbecia Tiger Eye

From .. A girl named "Max"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rudbecia Tiger Eye

Looks like Rudbeckia Tiger Eye is a F1 hybrid. Hybrids do not come true to the parent plant. In other words depending on what all was crossed with the original parent will be what the plant looks like. Though it will look nothing like your original plant. You could save the seeds by letting the flower head fade completely and the best way to tell if the seeds are viable is that the stem underneath the flower head will start to brown. The seeds will be found in the flower head itself.

Unfortunately it is an annual. If you like your plant though I am sure someone could give you advice on how to overwinter it. I am not the best at overwintering plants but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum so maybe someone will key in that has that information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here