Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Indoor Seedlings - No proper lighting inside house

saoodhashim
10 years ago

I live in Saudi Arabia and right now the highest temperatures reach 100F at around noon. Gradually they are falling though.

Being a new gardener, with no outside space and just a roof top where I receive 7-8 hours of morning and afternoon sunlight, I wanted to start off with vegetables - tomato, cucumber and peppers in containers. Just planted seeds inside my home and in 3 days, the seeds have started to germinate and poke above the soil line. I thought it might take 2-3 weeks and by that time the temperatures would have bettered off for keeping them outside. However, not so. Now I have got a bit worried. What to do with these seedlings? Not much sunlight inside my home - just indirect light through the eastern window - good enough for reading and writing and thats it. This indirect light is available for around 9-10 hours

Knowing that I need to provide light immediately after the seed germinate, I thought of providing 1 to 1 and a half hours of morning sun when the temperatures are below 80F. Then bring them inside the house towards the eastern window which is the brightest point in my house. Will this arrangement work for some time until the temperatures relax a bit.

Is indoor lighting arrangement a must? Is there any other way. I have installed shade cloth (50%) also on the roof top to filter out the afternoon light. Can seedlings be gradually brought outside when the highest temperature are consistently above 95F and most of the time touching 100F?

I dont want to go for the inhouse lighting arrangement, unless it is the only possible solution. And if it is the only solution can someone guide me how to make one quickly - the grow lights are not available in Saudi Arabia. I will call my local electrician to build it up. Any advises will be highly appreciated.

Saood

Comments (3)