Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Seedlings - No proper lighting inside house

Posted by saood Saudi (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 10:24

I live in Saudi Arabia and right now the highest temperatures reach 100F at around noon. Gradually they are falling though.

Being a new gardener, with no outside space and just a roof top where I receive 7-8 hours of morning and afternoon sunlight, I wanted to start off with vegetables - tomato, cucumber and peppers in containers. Just planted seeds inside my home and in 3 days, the seeds have started to germinate and poke above the soil line. I thought it might take 2-3 weeks and by that time the temperatures would have bettered off for keeping them outside. However, not so. Now I have got a bit worried. What to do with these seedlings? Not much sunlight inside my home - just indirect light through the eastern window - good enough for reading and writing and thats it. This indirect light is available for around 9-10 hours

Knowing that I need to provide light immediately after the seed germinate, I thought of providing 1 to 1 and a half hours of morning sun when the temperatures are below 80F. Then bring them inside the house towards the eastern window which is the brightest point in my house. Will this arrangement work for some time until the temperatures relax a bit.

Is indoor lighting arrangement a must? Is there any other way. I have installed shade cloth (50%) also on the roof top to filter out the afternoon light. Can seedlings be gradually brought outside when the highest temperature are consistently above 95F and most of the time touching 100F?

I dont want to go for the inhouse lighting arrangement, unless it is the only possible solution. And if it is the only solution can someone guide me how to make one quickly - the grow lights are not available in Saudi Arabia. I will call my local electrician to build it up. Any advises will be highly appreciated.

Saood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Seedlings - No proper lighting inside house

I would get the seedlings outside in the real sun as quickly as possible, but during the coolest part of the day and under the shade cloth. You could even put a cardboard box over them, with the top flaps partly open to allow the light in, but indirectly. Make sure they have plenty of water and aren't allowed to dry out. Gradually increase the time they are out over about a week. You may need to keep the shade cloth up until cooler weather finally arrives.

Martha

o

Thanks Martha. It was very pleasing to see a reply on 'growing from seed' forum. It seems there are not much returning members on this forum.

Anyways, I will try the method suggested by you for some of my seedlings. Just to have a sort of comparison between a few alternatives that I am trying.

Thanks again.

o

I think trying several different methods is an excellent idea. Good luck.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here