Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting presprouted seed

Posted by saood Saudi - 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 10:57

How to plant pre-sprouted seeds from paper towels. How to handle them? and how to plant them in potting soil? Can you do this by hand or you need some special tool?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting presprouted seed

I use tweezers to pluck them off. Pick them up by the seed end.

If they are far enough apart I just cut the paper towel with scissors and plant the piece of paper with it.

o

• Posted by saood Saudi - 10b (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 14:55

Can they be handled by hand?

Further how to plant the soil? I mean do we just put it on the soil and cover it or there has to be some part of the sprouts showing above the soil line? I am not sure what to do.

o

Sure you can handle them by hand if your fingers are still nimble!

Mine aren't nimble anymore and I break the root off often.

Different planting depths on different seeds. It depends on what kind of seed you are talking about?

Most seeds (sprouts) need to be covered with soil. I usually just lay the sprout on top of some potting soil then cover lightly with more soil. Roughly twice the depth as the diameter of the per-sprouted seed.

o

I recommend pre watering the bed.

o

I fully agree with wertach ... scissors, tweezers

PS: you don't need/have to separate/pull the seeds out of the paper.
I am test -germinating and just transplanted some from paper to pots. Of course, I had too many sprouts that I didn't want to grow and I picked the easiest ones. Now they are under light.

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 5:36

o

I use the paper towel method for all my squash, melon, pumpkin and gourd seeds. Too many years I planted them directly in the garden and waited for something to appear! After a month, I would dig down and sadly see that bugs had bored into the unsprouted seed and ate the insides.

They are easy to handle with my hands because they are all substantial in size. For those type of vegetables, the sprout gets planted downward under the soil. I plant them when the sprout is 1/2 inch long or so. The seed husk is planted upwards and I leave a tiny bit of it showing at ground level. The leaves will unfurl from under the seed husk.

I've never tried this method with tiny seeds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here