Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Athletes Foot Medicine to Control Fungus on Seeds?

Posted by edlincoln 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 11:21

This may be a crazy idea.

Everyone says fungus is the big risk with starting seed. Would spraying the seed tray with athletes foot medicine help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Athletes Foot Medicine to Control Fungus on Seeds?

I have no idea but fungus does not need to be a problem. It is definitely not inevitable. There are fungal spores around us all the time but they need warmth and moisture to grow. If you water your seeds carefully and don't over wet them then you will not get fungus.

o

you can avoid fungal growth by having air circulation and sprinkling powdery sphagnum moss on top of seeded soil.

o

Ha ha. Might be worth it in a pinch. I doubt it would hurt but I use Fung Onil. Its not expensive at Walmart. Good stuff whenever you are concerned about dampening off.

o

Can also spray a mixture of baking soda and water on seeds/seedlings. Keeps fungus at bay. I use this mixture on my outdoor garden plants like phlox that are prone to fungus.

o

susanzone5 z5NY on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 16:05

you can avoid fungal growth by having air circulation and sprinkling powdery sphagnum moss on top of seeded soil.

I'm glad to see someone mentioning this. In the university laboratory I found sprinkling powdery sphagnum to be quite helpful.

o

to cure athlete foot completely, use HYPO bleach

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here