Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coir mixes

Posted by pamcat z5 NH (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 12:09

I want to make my own mix for starting seeds. Can I use just Coir and worm castings, or should also add a light peat-based mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coir mixes

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 16:37

It's just one study, but you might want to read through this before committing to starting seeds in coir. I have no personal comparison to add, haven't used it for seeds -

Here is a link that might be useful: Coir vs Peat

o
RE: Coir mixes

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 15:47

Agree with the above - there are some issues associated with using straight coir. It works much better as a secondary component of the mix rather than the primary ingredients IMO. The quality of the coir used can also make a big difference.

In our GH we have done some informal comparisons between coir and peat based mixes and find a somewhat better level of germination with the peat mixes. Plus the peat based mixes (or a 2:1 peat to coir mix) have less fungus gnat issues and slightly better root development.

The finer the grind of coir the better the results it seems. We tied some bulk supplies of coarse ground coir and got very poor results from it.

Granted these are very unscientific results and there are lots of variables than can affect the results, but as you are going to have enough issues arise from using the worm castings that I'd encourage you to incorporate peat into your mix.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here