Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stachys Coccinea, Scarlet Hedgenettle

Posted by DionKar333 8/9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 13:42

Hello all!
I have several ziploc baggies of fresh seed from a 7-up plant, Scarlet Hedgenettle, Texas Betony, Stachys Coccinea, whatever you want to call it! The only problem is, I have had no luck growing it from seed. I'm wondering what the plant needs for germination to occur? So far, I have simply sown the seed and waited... and waited.. and nothing. I will try soaking the seeds for a bit, as well as some cold stratification.

Amazingly, there is very little information available in regards to growing the plant from seed. If anyone out there has some experience with this plant, please share your knowledge! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stachys Coccinea, Scarlet Hedgenettle

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 14:02

Hmmmm. It shouldn't need any kind of pretreatment, although a brief moist chill wouldn't hurt it either. How deep are you covering the seeds - barely cover and see if some light helps you.

Stachys coccinea - Sow at 68F, should germinate in approx 2 weeks. Warmer temps may delay germination.

o
RE: Stachys Coccinea, Scarlet Hedgenettle

I am barely covering the seeds, have them placed in a humidity chamber under a full spectrum uv light. Stays mid 60's to upper 70's for the most part,so maybe its too hot for it. Thanks for the advice, I will keep trying!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here