Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Zinnia seeds grow flowers that are true to color?

Posted by HighlanderNorth Mid Atlantic USA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 14:01

I am slowly harvesting the seeds from my many zinnia flowers, which are of a taller variety.

I have about 7 different colors that I grew from Burpee seeds.

So I am trying to keep the different colors separated for the most part, except for a small number of mixed color seeds I've mixed up evenly.

But then I began to wonder about whether they will be true to color? In other words, I have many zinnias of the same variety growing together, and they have certainly been pollinated by bees coming from zinnia flowers of different colors landing on other flowers of different colors.

So, when I collect seeds from a red flower, will they all be red next year, or will they be a different or mixed color, since there are different colored zinnias all around, and I have no control over which flowers the bees or other pollinators are transferring pollen from?

Or will the colors be the same as the color of the flower that the seeds came from, regardless of mixed pollination?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Zinnia seeds grow flowers that are true to color?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 17:15

I don't really get enough summer heat to make them truly happy and only grow them occasionally, but -

"Zinnias will cross-pollinate. Gardeners should only grow one variety at a time to save pure seed, or isolate varieties by 1/4 mile. "

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here