Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monkshood (Aconitum albidum) seeds - when and how to seed

Posted by madrone VancIsl BC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 14:09

Has anyone any experience about when, how and where to grow monkshood (Acibutum albidum)seed. The flowers have all set seed and are dropping to the ground now. Would I be more successful copying nature and growing them outside, or can they be planted now in a greenhouse, or in the spring. Do they germinate better using bottom heat? I could try all three methods but it would save time if someone has some tried and proven results to share. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monkshood (Aconitum albidum) seeds - when and how to seed

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 15:13

Copying nature works well, sow fresh seed, place pots in a protected place outdoors for Spring germination. I especially like outdoors here where our winter temps will often be an average of that of your refrigerator, and, that 55F range is difficult for me to achieve indoors.

Or, Aconitum napellus (albidum) - Sow in moist seed mix and keep at 70F for 3-4 weeks, then place in fridge for 6-8 weeks, move to 55F where germination may occur in additional 1-4 weeks, (but do not throw away seed trays for at least 12 months). Short viable seed, best not stored.

o

Thanks very much for the info. I will start some outdoors, as you suggested. I noticed that one of the web sources said that seed did not come true to the parent. Have you had any surprises when you started monkshood from seed?

o

I am trying these seeds and I sowed them last January, left 2 weeks at 70F, and then I put them in the refrigerator around the end of January. I took them out of the refrigerator today, and this is how the tray looks like as I opened the baggy:

The little seedlings actually are not Monkshood, but they are Jacob's Ladder seedlings that I planted in one of the 9 cells and they survived in the dark of the refrigerator for almost 2 months!!!

What concerns me are thos white moldy spots because I think I have lost some seeds here. I have 70F in my apartment and I definitely would not want my place to be left at 50F, so I will have to see if they can germinate at this temperature. Outside it gets high 50s in the night and low 80s during the day. Would it be better if I leave the tray outside? I hope I will have at least one plantlet!!!

I'll keep you posted.

Rino

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here