Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grown Michelia figo from seed?

Posted by yaotzin none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 14:38

Hi new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had any tips growing Michelia figo from seeds as i have a few on the way and i have only found info on Champaca. Is it the same technique? Thanks in advance for your time i hope you guys can help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grown Michelia figo from seed?

use "fresh seed' store at 40F for 2-3 months then lightly cover with soil temp of 55-60F for germination

o
RE: Anyone grown Michelia figo from seed?

With respect .... but!!!! Why in the world would you cold stratify an hot area, jungle type plant? that is at home in Zone 11 Further - why soil temp of 55-60? Again - a heat loving plant where the soil temp is likely 80 +?

Scarify with file or sand paper or nick
Soak for 24 - 36 hours in warm water
Treat seed with fungicide
Barely cover seed
Keep soil moist
Maintain temp of 80 - 85 or so - use a heat mat

Fairly quick germination - 1 - 5 weeks
Fairly poor germination ~ 50 %

Do NOT stratify!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here