Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

Datura seed

vajeff
12 years ago

This is my first time growing datura and I'm not sure exactly what to expect from the seeds...

Yesterday the pod was perfectly green. This afternoon, the pod was still green but had burst open overnight (I guess). Tons of seeds on the ground beneath it. But strangely enough, almost every seed has a white spot where the root would emerge after germination. I looked inside the pod and the majority of those have white tips...

Have they sprouted inside the pod? If so, is it normal for them to do that? I've only had zinnia do that so far... Is there any chance of drying and saving them?

I'll try to post pictures if I can get some decent ones.

Comments (9)

• vajeff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops... wrong forum. Meant to post in seed saving.

• art33
    12 years ago

vajeff,

That white stuff is just some of the fruit flesh sticking to the seed; perfectly normal. I save the seeds of Datura metel each year and they always have that small amount of whitish flesh attached right where the root will come out of the seed. I think it serves as a natural germination inhibitor. I once experimented with Datura seeds by removing that fruit flesh from half of the seeds I sowed. In almost every case, the seeds with the flesh removed germinated quite a bit sooner than those with the flesh still attached.

• vajeff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whew. It's a relief knowing that I'm not going to be stuck with overwintering several plants now.

Thank you!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

See " elaiosome"

...an oil-rich body on seeds or fruits that attracts ants, which then act as dispersal agents - they carry the seed with the food attached back to their underground nests, 'planting' the seed.

If you aren't an ant and aren't interested, just leave it - it will dry up quickly on its own, no need to remove it.

• art33
    12 years ago

Wow morz8 thanks for that info! I looked up "Elaiosome" (Wikipedia) and found the explanation very interesting. Isn't nature amazing?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Yes, it is :) I don't grow datura, but I do harvest seeds of trillium with the ant attracting appendage/elaiosome, and the one that almost covers cyclamen individual seeds makes the seeds hard to handle until they've dried a couple of days - they totally stick to your fingers.

• vajeff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's astounding! I'd have never guessed..

Come to think of it, some of the seeds were spread out a bit and I did see ants running around. I guess that's also how the seeds found their way under the mulch, pine straw, and leaves. Pretty cool!

Thanks!

• compogardenermn
    12 years ago

They should be just fine. Just dont eat those seeds... ;-) Seriously, do NOT eat them!

• mccommas
    12 years ago

I have not noticed the white on my seeds. What I REALLY don't like about these flowers is the thorns on the seed pods. Man are they sharp!