Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Reed Peat For tomato seed

Posted by gardengolfer Ga 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 14:46

I am told there are certain advantages to starting tomato seed in pure vermicompost. I have recently started to raise African Night Crawlers for bait in "Garden Magic" Black Michigan peat bedding. Supposedly, when the seedlings are transplanted there are beneficial organisms introduced into the garden soil from the vermicompost.
What kind of problems would you forsee using this medium to start tomato seeds?
Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Reed Peat For tomato seed

Most seed contain enough nutrients to get them through germination & production of the 1st set of true leafs therefor "fertilizer" is not neeeded untill later...
in the peat the roots will grow & expand in size BUT when you go to seporate them you will damage the roots & set the plant back.....FOR that reason I germinate my seed in crushed rock so I get good aeration, water & yet the cplants seporate easly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here