Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris - 2 types

Posted by lily55rjw 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 15:43

I was wondering something. I have 2 different types of Iris seeds and I am in zone 5. One is a very few Siberian Iris and the other is unknown iris. (I was told it looks scrawny but pretty) Anyway, I have a garden bed I planted some dutch iris bulbs in and was wondering if I could just put the seeds in that bed now (end of October) and let mother nature do the rest since they need stratification or will I be better off WS'ing? If anyone has had luck direct sowing them, PLMK as I will only have these and the dutch iris bulbs in this area...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris - 2 types

you need to knick the seed & soak in water for 2 days then store at 70F for 4 weeks (there is still time & consider time already spent in house) THEN>>>>do not cover the seed & sow in your chozen area..... Keep in mind that the seed will be considered food for mice, birds, & insects

o

I have grown them in the house in a window box over the winter to give them a head start. Remember :it takes 3 years from seed to bloom for irises.

o

direct sowing now (in theory) works, but as previous posters have mentioned, your seeds will probably be eaten. I have had better luck WSing than direct seeding in the fall (it may just be because we have unusualy high numbers of squirrels around here). If you choose to direct sow, remember to mark the location you sowed. I have made the mistake of weeding selfsowing annuals and direct seeded annuals mistaking them for weeds as i had forgot I sowed seeds there in the fall.

o

Randi - I winter sowed Siberian iris seeds last year and they germinated fine. They grew nearly a foot tall and have yet to go dormant.
Eileen

o

Thanks for the replys!!

Randi

o

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 15:04

Winter Sowing iris is the way to go for success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here