Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on 'Dead Area' in my yard

Posted by botanicalboi Zone 7 Georgia (glowwrestling@gmail.com) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 15:53

Hi guys,

I have two areas in my yard in which nothing will grow. One is a slope at the drive way. This area is rocky and in partial shade. The other is in full sun and is a flower bed in which a large tree was removed before we bought our house. Under the flower bed in full of tunnels. I can not afford to amend the soil in these locations and an looking for a really hardy...even invasive plant lol that will fill these dead spots. In the bed where the tree used to be I can get Gay Feather to grow but nothing else. On the slope, I have tried every type of ground cover imaginable. I live in Ga. zone 7. Any help please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on 'Dead Area' in my yard

First thought would be wintergreen, it has attractive red berries the the birds love and it is also evergreen.

Second if you are looking for more invasive is english ivy, though it will not do so great in our southern full sun. It may tend to look a little more sparse. In the shade it would be great, rocks no problem. Also this is another evergreen.

Periwinkle, would be pretty but also invasive but nowhere near the english ivy and it does not care for our southern full sun either.

Creeping juniper, it is evergreen and it tolerates full sun.

I am assuming here you are looking for evergreen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here