Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Germinating Aconitum Napellus

Posted by NemJones Colorado (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 16:02

Hello everyone,
A couple weeks ago I ordered some monks hood seeds (aconitum napellus) and im having a few problems germinating the seeds.

(I have to grow indoors right now.)

I tried a couple methods, and waiting on a set right now.

First method was to plant a few seeds in a pot, and let it
sit in the fridge for a couple weeks, to bring them out of dormancy. No seedlings for atleast 2 weeks now.

The other method was soak the seeds for 2 weeks in a
refrigerator, changing water daily, then setting them on a
sterilized paper towel and monitor for rooting. Been waiting about 4 days now.

If anyone can offer any INDOOR growing for aconitum napellus, that would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Germinating Aconitum Napellus

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 12:48

Your expectations of how long germination is going to take needs an adjustment - aconitum from dried commercial seed takes patience. And when some germination does take place, it can be erratic, meaning not all seedlings will appear at the same time - they may be days, or weeks apart.

Self sown by the plants, the seeds would be exposed to warm (relatively speaking) Fall rains, then a cold moist winter, to germinate close to Spring when temps begin to warm again.
As monkshood from commerical seed can be difficult, sometimes best to try copying mother nature.

You can do that by giving the seeds a warm moist period of 2-4 weeks, moving to 40F for 6 weeks, then bringing back to warm.

o
RE: Help Germinating Aconitum Napellus

Morz8, thanks for the help, but I do know they have differing periods of germination. I had atleast 3 sets sitting in 30-40
F temperature for 3-4 weeks, and still waiting for germination. I do know they have different temp ranges.. so I guess keep on waiting..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here