Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northern Catalpa

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 16:58

I've collected some NC seed pods. They were still green, turning purpleish. I had looked at some trees before and the pods were turning brown but when I went to pick some, they must have blown off in the last wind storm we had. I couldn't find any on the ground or on the tree. Then I went to another spot and asked the lady if I could pick some of the pods off her tree. She was very nice and told me to go ahead and take as many as I wanted. I was wondering how long these would take to dry or if I had picked them to early? Anyone have any advice about this? If they do dry, I will have lots to share. Thanks. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northern Catalpa

I think if you've just collected them within the last day or so they should be full of viable seed. Put the pods into a paper bag and put them up in the top of a closet to dry. The seeds look like wings, if you're not familiar with them google up an image so you know what you're looking for. I'd sow them during the winter so they can get some stratification.

I have a Catalpa, love the fragrant, beautiful flowers. Good luck!
Jeanne

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 12:19

Thanks Jeanne. I did get some dried seed pods from a friend last year and started a few but would like to start more. I have seen pictures of the flowers, beautiful! These trees have not only nice, fragrant flowers but nicely shaped and coloured foliage, I'm a foliage person. I've managed to collect about 20 seed pods so hopefully one will be good to use. Marg

o

I observed some seed will germinate almost immediately when quite fresh. I don't know about norther catalpa but you might find it interesting to take a few seed, nick or scratch them and plant them right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here