Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do beets go to seed and can the winter over?

Posted by Earth_Healer none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 17:15

I have some beets growing and it is close to the time of freezing but they are not ready for harvest. I have two questions, can beets winter over and do beets go to seed like some plants in that they only seed after the second yr?

Well I lied, I've one more question. If beets can winter over are the roots edible or will they turn bitter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do beets go to seed and can the winter over?

Beets will usually, in most climates, go to seed next year when it starts to get noticeably warm.

Your other questions are better discussed at Vegetable Gardening - GardenWeb. I think you will find there that you can overwinter beets with enough mulch and that some varieties may sometimes get a bit sweeter during the early winter.

o
RE: When do beets go to seed and can the winter over?

yeah, mine overwinter....but they are pretty huge and gnarly, fit only for roasting and borscht......nothing like those little golfball summer beets. In truth, I mainly grow them for the leaves cos I am not keen on quite a lot of root crops (parsnip....gah!)...but essentially, they are biennial so will bolt to seed next year around May (for me).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here