Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican sunflower seeds

Posted by hank2230 z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 18:45

Can anyone tell me how to identify the seeds. I have taken the flower petals off and have a lot of what looks like chaff from grain. I then have a lot of little beige stems about 1/2 inch long and a red/orange spot on the very end. I suspect this is the seed but I would like confirmation if anyone can help me.

Thank all very much

If Mortz8 sees this message I have tried to reach you but was denied access to your site.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican sunflower seeds

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 22:26

Hank, was it me you were looking for? I don't have emails to me through GW blocked....

I may have referred you to Seed Site for photos of pods, capsules, seeds:
http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedpods.html

There was a good photo last Fall of tithonia seed on the Seed Harvesting/Saving forum - I haven't grown these myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tithonia seed

o

It sounds like you are trying to harvest the seeds before they are ripe. The petals will all fall off and the center of the flower will turn brown and hard. The stem leading up to the flower will also turn brown. You need to wear gloves when harvesting these because the pods are pretty sharp. Once the seeds are ripe, you can either put the pods in a bag to dry completely or break the pods open to harvest the seeds. They look like the picture in the link morz8 provided.

Becky
ramazz

o

morz8 and ramazz,
I may very well need to offer you both an apology. Razz described something different than what I am calling mexican sunflower. I will take a picture of what I have and maybe one of you will be able to identify it if I am calling it by the wrong name. Thanks to both of you.

hank2230@yahoo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here