Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Burning Bush Seeds

mary_max
17 years ago

I am seeing some little red seeds or fruit or whatever now that the leaves are almost gone. Are these the seeds and if so what next. Do I pick them, let them drop, and when do I sow them. What about winter sowing them and if so is now the time?? As always,Thanks

Comments (10)

• happyhoe
    17 years ago

Burning bush seeds a found in the red fleshy aril that are with in the fruit. Clean the seed and give them 1-3 mo cold startification. Seeds may be planted directly ourdoors in fall, sown into pots and kept outside for germination or brought inside once the chilling requirements have been met.

• mary_max
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Let me explain what I did. I picked the red fruit. I opened it and there was another redish orange covering which I then opened and found one clear ivory looking seed. Is this right? Thanks so much.

• mary_max
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do I take the seed out of the red fleshy aril that is with in the fruit BEFORE sowing or sow it with the fleshy aril?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

It's usually best to clean any seeds well of any pulp or fleshy bits from the fruit - they may contain germination inhibitors.
    i.e. - The Clothiers site recommends scrubbing euonymus seed 3 x per day for seven days before sowing

• pink_warm_mama_1
    17 years ago

In many areas it is requested that burning bushes and seeds not be planted as the birds are known to distribute the seeds so completely, the bb's that result outnumber the indigenous plants and crowd them out. You may want to check your area.

• gretchenmi
    17 years ago

Any help here would be very appreciated....I have the Burning Bush seeds cleaned of any pulp and am wondering what next...Keep cold for 1 - 3 months and then can I winter sow them indoors?....It is almost November here in Michigan and it said to sow in fall????......How deep to plant...cover...warmth...?.....Would like to start some indoors this winter for spring planting.....Any help would be wonderful again...Quecha

• sweeper
    17 years ago

It's on the 'Invasive Plant List' don't plant it.

Find something else that turnings red in the fall.

• happyhoe
    17 years ago

Sow the seeds about 1/4" deep and chill for 3 months. Whether you chill indoors or out you can bring the seeds to normal growning tmeps after the three months is up.

• pink_petunia_20862
    17 years ago

Hi Mary, I found seeds on mine and they were germinating right on the plant. I did some research and found this....Propagation

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame. Stored seed requires 8 - 12 weeks warm followed by 8 - 16 weeks cold stratification and can then be sown in a cold frame[78, 98]. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm long taken at a node or with a heel, July/August in a frame. Very easy[200].

heres a link where the article was posted.....http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Euonymus+alatus+apterus

hope that helps.

• redthreaddiy
    13 years ago

YES - pink_petunia is right. What I did was planted the seeds 1/16" in peat moss in a milk jug that I cut in half, indoors in November. I misted the top of the peat each day. In February, I taped the top of the milk jug onto the bottom and placed it outside. Once the weather got a little warmer, I could see the seedlings.