Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to ordering tomato seeds online.....company suggestions

Posted by squirrellypete z7b GA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 19:25

Posted this in seed savers but maybe that was the wrong location so I'll try here:

I am a fairly knowledgeable hobby gardener but I just learned something new after reading through some posts in this forum....you can purchase named hybrid tomato F1 seeds. I just always assumed the F1 seeds could not be ordered by the general public and only by growers licensed to grow varieties like that. I wanted to give greenhouse tomato growing a try and assumed I'd have to go with heirloom varieties, (which I may also try) but I'd kinda' like to start with something I'm more familiar with like Better Boys now that I know that's an option.

My question is: Are all F1 seeds from these companies the same or is there anything I need to know or look for when ordering from them besides who has the cheapest price?? Are there any kinds of treatments or coatings on seeds from some places but not others or is that even a factor? In other words regardless of source, are all Better Boy F1 seeds created equal?

Thank you for any advice.
Danielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to ordering tomato seeds online.....company suggestions

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 0:36

On something like Better Boy, I'm guessing the online places are probably just resellers selling the same seed.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 0:36

On something like Better Boy, I'm guessing the online places are probably just resellers selling the same seed.

o

In other words regardless of source, are all Better Boy F1 seeds created equal?

_________

With that particular variety since it is well stabilized, likely so since the seeds from all the common hybrids are usually purchased by the reputable commercial suppliers from just a few grower sources and then re-sold to the public. Of course that would not be the case if you buy from individual sellers (IE: those on ebay, amazon, etc.) so you need to stick with reputable vendors.

But that is NOT true for all varieties. There are literally 100's of hybrid varieties where the quality all depends on the source of the seed.

You can find any number of discussions about reputable dealers and non-reputable seed dealers discussed on the Growing Tomatoes forum here. My personal preferences are tomatogrowers.com and tomatofest.com

Dave

o

Hmm, I never heard of F1s being limited to certain growers.
Patented cuttings are limited to licensed growers.
They pay a royalty per cutting, which will be rooted and grown to a plant.
The royalty in a F1 seed is paid in the price of each seed.
The objective is to sell a lot of seeds, and that includes to the public.

Here is a link that might be useful: random seed page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here