Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Desert Rose Seeds

Posted by xanas 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 20:23

I have a Desert Rose that has seeds growing on it and I was curious to know how and when to harvest them. I would like to be able to give them to my mother for her to grow. Any help/info/advice would be greatly appreciated, I couldn't find anything on the internet about this!
~Xanas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Desert Rose Seeds

They start out looking like a couple of green cigars, and they can take quite a while to ripen. Best is to wait till the pod starts turning a brownish colour and begins to split. The seed has a feathery little "tail" for wind dispersal. It is best grown fresh, nothing much special is required.
When one of my plants made seed, I simply slipped a not-too-tight rubber band round the pod, just enough to hold it together should it open before I noticed.
If you do more searching under "Adenium seed" or "Adenium seed germination" you should turn up a few useful sites. This was my first "hit"

Here is a link that might be useful: seed

o
RE: Harvesting Desert Rose Seeds

I planted fresh seed into standard seed raising mix in a yoghurt contained with a clear lid. Cut some drain holes in the base. Fill the container up to about 2" deep of seed raising mix, water well and allow to drain. place seed (minus feathery bit) just under soil surface, put clear lid on and place in a well lit area out of direct sun. You dont want them to cook, just keep warm and slightly moist - you shouldnt need to water again until after they germinate. If there is too much condensation on the lid remove and wipe off before replacing. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here