Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree and its seed pod??? Can you identify

Posted by mary_max Z 5 Utah (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 14, 06 at 20:38

My husband came home with something that resembled a bananna in shape but it was dark brown and flat with 20 or so seeds in it. The tree was full of these things. The one he brought home was lying on the ground. The seeds were probably the size of a bean seed. Do you know what the name of this tree might be? Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree and its seed pod??? Can you identify

Can you take a picture? There are many trees with pods matching this description....:0)

o

From your description the seed pod is likely from a Honeylocust tree (Gledistia). Seed exhibit mechanical dormancy due to a thick seed coat. You can germinate by planting now and letting bacteria and fungi break down the seed coat or save the seed until spring and mechanically or chemically scarify the seeds.

o

Could be a Catalpa. Does DH remember what the leaves looked like? Catalpa has large heart-shaped leaves and the seeds have wings on them.

o

No no wings on the seeds. They look like beans.

o

Checkout the picture toward the bottom of the page linked to see if this is your fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: honey locust

o

Okay that is it!! That is exactly what we have. Thanks so much. I will plant them in a little bit and wait for them to do their thing. Thanks so much. You folks sure know your stuff.

o

Honey Locust is a rather dangerous tree to have around. The common ones grow thorns up to a foot long, which are perhaps the nastiest thorns of any North American tree. I have been told that some of the African Acacias are worse, but don't know that for a fact. Not something I'd care to have on my property. The so-called Moraine locust is a thornless form, so just hope you have that variety.

George

o

I found a tree fruit(actually it almost hit me when a squirrel knocked it off the tree) and it looks like a small potato, a light brown. The inside is a very pale tan, almost white color. The seed is like that of a kidney bean, but has a small white patch on its upper section. Can you help me?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here