Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct Fall Sowing

Posted by shamrock62081 6a (Missouri) (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 20:56

I'm getting fairly impatient to start my next garden project but am also a little hesitant to get started. I have a decent sized area in my backyard that I'm going to sow with wildflower seeds (echinacea, rudebeckia (hirta and fulgida), milkweed, and some lupines). I'm in zone 6a (City of St Louis). I'm debating the right time to directly sow these seeds this fall since site they will be sowed is prepped and ready to go. Should I wait unit February or March to directly sow or is it ok to do so in now in mid-October? One part of me says they're (mostly) native wildflowers and should be fine if I sow them now, but a small part says to wait because I want to make sure they'll germinate since I don't have an overabundance of seed.

Would like some guidance to help me make up my mind. Thanks!!!

PS: I'm throwing in some other annuals that I'll start indoors in late March or early April to fill in and add some long lasting color.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct Fall Sowing

The simplest thing to do would be to sow now. But, I think you run more of a risk of the seed being eaten by migrating birds and rodents preparing for winter. I'd probably wait until February and plant then. There is also less chance of the seed rotting due to prolonged exposure to moisture before germination.

Martha

o
RE: Direct Fall Sowing

yeah, I would be inclined to do a more controlled sowing in spring....but save seeds and next autumn, you can strew, broadcast and fling to your heart's content.

You could, of course, sow some now in pots and transfer to garden in spring...but this assumes you have the room to do this while protecting the pots from munching creatures - a small temporary cold frame?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here