Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange problem with direct sown seed germination

Posted by a_name CA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 21:28

Hi everyone

I am new here and have a strange problem with some of my seeds germinating. I've looked high and low for an answer but found absolutely no info on what is going on. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I have a small but efficient vegetable garden. 7 raised beds, all 3' x 6' filled with loamy humus rich soil. Generally I direct sow my carrots, beets, turnips, radishes and all other root veggies and transplant my kale, broccoli, squash, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinach, onions, etc that were either started in local nurseries or started by me in flats in a cold frame or inside under lights. This year, I decided to direct sow some of my "transplant" plants (peppers, onions, spinach). All the seeds germinated at the appropriate times for their species, but then some of them all of the sudden stopped growing right before they got their first true leaves. They then stayed in that state for months. They didn't die, they didn't grow, they just stayed in a state of stasis. Just tiny little sprouts everywhere for months. It was like they had transplant shock. Some of the onions ended up growing after a month or so, but no luck with spinach or peppers. They were just stuck. I pulled the pepper sprouts out of the soil today (I planted them in May!) and root growth looked good, just like it should for sprouts! No underground pests that I could see with my naked eye.

I live on the coast of the Pacific Northwest in northern California (Humboldt county). I planted these seeds at the appropriate time for each plant (proper light requirements, soil temp).

My question is has anyone even heard of this? And if so, what is going on?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange problem with direct sown seed germination

I have lived in this northern California area for almost 80 years and do not remember a summer with less heat. I don't think you did anything wrong. Al

o
RE: Strange problem with direct sown seed germination

Thanks Al

You are right, this was a terrible growing season... I guess I have next year to test this out. Would the bad growing season affect direct sown seeds vs. the ones I started in a cold frame that much? Because although the peppers/spinach didn't grow, my tomatoes (started in the cold frame) produced this season.

I don't know enough about direct sowing seeds (not enough experience!) so any information is welcome! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here