Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roses from seed

Posted by dezinerbug 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 22:07

I love my 3 rose bushes can I propagate them from seed? Can someone send me to directions or send me directions?
The temp has dropped here already at 8,600 ft, so any out door planting is out of the question for this year. I did save a few HIPS but I don't know how to tell if they are mature if I can use the seed. Thanks DB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roses from seed

The Rose Forum may be the place to ask about roses from seed. I am sure the experts there do this often to raise new varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Propagation

o

I have been successful germinating the seed, but did not put in the time and effort needed to grow them to bloom to see what I might have achieved. Dirr's "Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation" does provide some seed starting information of roses. However it points out how erratic the various roses are, and tends to discourage most of us from the exercise. Al

o

BTW - you do know that any seedlings you get are unlikely to produce flowers that look like the parents, don't you?

If you really want to replicate the roses you have grown fond of exactly,you need to take cuttings or learn about grafting/budding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here