Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jiffy mix is too boggy for self-watering seed propogation

Posted by ydfz deep south texas 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 0:26

hello friends

i have engineered some self-watering seed-starting trays for the coming season. they function similarly to how i would imagine the burpee ultimate growing system does (i mention this for reference only).

anyway, the system does a more than adequate job of maintaining a moist mix...in fact, it may do too good a job. the jiffy-mix i am used to using under a traditional seed-starting set-up now retains far too much moisture. jiffy-mix peat is quite finely shredded and so the tends to form a big, heavy, wet, non-porous brick. i'm sure the moisture-retentive vermiculite in the mix does little to help the situation either.

do you think i could remedy the problems with my seed starting mix by adding chunkier peat (i.e. bigger pieces from an actual bale) and maybe some perlite to make the stuff lighter and more porous? or should i ditch the jiffy-mix and start from scratch in order to have a vermiculite-free mix? i ask because i've never made my own seed-starting mix before and the only recipes i've found would probably tend to retain too much water in a self-watering environment.

help me! otherwise my precious little seed babies will be doomed!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jiffy mix is too boggy for self-watering seed propogation

Yes - add Perilite to open up the soil - will prevent mildew and rotting.

o

• Posted by ydfz deep south texas 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 0:18

thanks for your advice.

anyway, i'm itching to make that leap of faith from jiffy-mix to a diy seed starting mix. perhaps a rite of passage from amateur to intermediate gardener? it sure feels like it. besides, jiffy-mix just seems too fine for my purposes (in its dry state it resembles dust--it's that finely shredded). in a self-watering set-up it just wicks too well and doesn't seem to aerate because it's a big soggy brick.

come to think of it, i had tremendous success starting seeds outside this september (in the sweltering dog days of summer here in south texas, i might add) in a 2-2-1 mixture of pine bark, peat, and coarse perlite (plus some dolomitic limestone). so i am assuming that something similar might work indoors as well (sans bark though). if seedlings flourished in that mix despite 95 degree heat then surely growing inside will be a cakewalk for them.

o

Have you looked at the problem from the other end? Could it be that your home made 'self watering' seed starting trays are not working efficiently rather than the mix being at fault? What is your design? Could you post a picture or diagram? Maybe you could do a control tray using a different mix and see if it is still too wet.

o

There are different types of Jiffy-Mix. What one are you having issues with?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here