Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to propogate multi-color Rose of Sharon?

Posted by dogbardave 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 1:30

Absolute newbie here, and my question here will most likely show it! I have a couple two color Rose of Sharon bushes. What's the best way to progogate them? From seed or try to root them? If from seed, will the two colors come from the seed of one color flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to propogate multi-color Rose of Sharon?

cuttings will give an exact copy of the parent plant.... take a tip cutting. apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 25-80 days to root.
from seed you will find many small plants arount the parent. it takes 1 year for some flowers to form & the 2nd year will be even better... so....check the flower color & keep the ones you like

o
RE: Best way to propogate multi-color Rose of Sharon?

Rose of Sharon seeds will re-seed themselves if there is any bare ground near the parent plant, but as yiorges-z5il says the only way to get an exact copy is through cuttings. Almost all the ones I have grown down this way are little tree-type plants that seem to grow to about 6' and don't seem to grow too much taller for many years. I always ended up with several colors, some bi-color. But for double blooms they only seem to come from cuttings. Even then I have found some revert to single type blooms, but I enjoy all colors and types as I just love flowers of all types, colors and forms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here