Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xkittenx

Italian cypress seeds

xkittenx
11 years ago

Hi I'm a newb, and graciously appreciate any advice.

I have Italian cypress seeds. I followed directions by putting them in the fridge on a wet paper towel, in a zippie bag for 60 days. Purchased a seed starter warmer tray, planted them about 3-4 days ago and nothing has sprouted. Have I done something wrong? I started morning glory seeds yesterday and most have sprouted already. How long should I wait & see before calling it quits?

~eve

Comments (7)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Morning Glories are herbaceous plants which grow fast but have a limited life span. Italian Cypress is a tree which grows slowly but can live for many decades. Think rabbits versus elephants in terms of gestation and life span. Tree seeds often germinated slowly and I would not be surprised if they take months even. Just be patient and check periodically.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupressus sempervirens from seed.

• xkittenx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the great info. That was very helpful. I'll keep fingers crossed!

• 210RLozano
    11 years ago

Hi Eve,

I found a cone on an Italian cypress tree that I planted last fall. I think that they are my favorite tree. I have planted countless I.c. over the years, but had never seen a cone. I pulled it off and got the seeds out. I'm about to attempt the germination process. Wondering if your seeds germinated after all. Thank you if you have the timeto get back!

Richard in South Central Texas

• xkittenx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello! This is the only one that survived. I started with 20 seeds, 5 sprouted, and were growing ok for about a week once they sprouted and died. This one, didn't expect to make it, but did to my surprise. Soon I'm going to provide a better pot and fresh soil, but for now he stays in my kitchen window in a little starter pot. I'm new to this, so I'm not sure if my turn over rate is really bad,.. It took a few weeks to see the seeds sprout. Def give it a try! Good luck :-)

This post was edited by xkittenx on Fri, May 24, 13 at 14:04

• demastersd
    10 years ago

We went to Italy last October and did the 60 day on wet paper towel in a bag thing. I pulled out 40 and put in tiny peat pellets and still no effect 4 months later. They have started sprouting on their own in the fridge and every one we have pulled out from there and planted in the peat and kept in the window has survived. So far there are 18 and more still sprouting in the fridge. EASY, leave them in the fridge and they will tell you when they are ready to come out!!

• demastersd
    9 years ago

Hello all, just an update from our from Italy- Italian cypress seeds. After they sprouted themselves in the fridge on the wet paper towel inside the zippie, they are now 12 in tall! I have only lost 1. They are still in my windowsill in Houston and will take them out to the yard in the spring. Will let you know how it goes!!

• raul_kender
    9 years ago

Hi,

I have just collected a few cones of cypress. Should I store them in a dry place until spring? and then do the 60 days fridge process?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm