Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, my seedlings are not healthy!

Posted by milocrab none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 5:20

I started some seeds about 3 weeks ago, some of them looked fine but a few of them looked pretty ugly. Please help me diagnose what I'm doing wrong. Here are some pictures:

This is a mustard green seedling, the cotyledon have beige colored spots on it.

The first true leaves are getting soft, developed light-colored patches; some of leaves eventually dried up.

This is one of the collard seedling, they looked absolutely fine before, but now a few of the true leaves start to curl up at the edges, becomes soft then dried up and die.

This is my first time planting something; there are a few things that I know I did wrong at the start. Firstly, I water everyday, now I know I only need to water when the top layer of the soiless mix is dried. Then I had the seedlings under two T5HO 39W tube; I didn't measure the temperature until a few days ago, and it was up to 89F. I added a fan now and the temperature is lowered to 75-78F. Do you think its the heat + overwatering that is causing the problems now? I have snipped all the leaves that looked bad, do you think these seedlings can still be saved? Thanks.

Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, my seedlings are not healthy!

Yes I think that is the problem. Why do you have so little mix in your pots? These germinate so fast I think I would start a new batch. Al

o
RE: Help, my seedlings are not healthy!

I started another batch with soiless mix filled to the top. All of them (collards, bok choi, endive, escarole...etc) just started to develop the first true leaf, but one of the mustard green's cotyledon is still yellowish and dying. Its always the mustard greens looking very bad...?

I was going to plant fewer pots at first, but every one of the seeds germinated so I decided to plant them all but didn't made enough mix. So all the pots were half filled (2 inches deep)...I thought they would do OK until transplant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here