Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheemak_gw

babby avocado tree dying

sheemak
13 years ago

Hi,

I have a young avocado tree which I planted from seed more than a year ago. It's around 40 cm tall.

It was always like this that its larger leaves would wither and die off but it would grow small new ones. My poor avocado has always been very strong. It has lived up to now with very little sunshine and in rather cold weather. It actually even fell off the windowsill once and it still kept strong.

And now It is really dying I think, because even the tiny new leaves have withered. I was on a trip for 2 weeks in October so I gave it a lot of water before going and a lot when I came back. Perhaps I have overwatered it. I have heard it might be a fungal disease and that it might help if I give it copper oxychloride. Please let me know what you think. I really really want to save my plant. Costs or time are not an issue here. I can send photos if anyone might have an idea.

By the way I live in Munich, Germany. If anyone knows of a place where my avocado can be treated please let me know.

I thank you all in advance.

Comments (10)

• mike423
    13 years ago

Its hard to say with the information given, and me myself not being acquainted with the conditions in Germany. How often do you water the plant? Do you wait until the soil is basically completely dry before watering? If you are over watering this can cause the plant to get "root rot" which is exactly what it implies and can cause the plant to die.

When you were gone did the plant go for a extend period of dry soil with no water? Are there any noticeable changes on the plant when observed closely that might be from a fungus or pest?

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike. Thanks for your response.

I usually watered it once a week., I wouldn't let the soil get dry that's all. When I came back from my trip the soil was pretty dry and I sort of watered it a lot more like every other day.

The bottom part of the stalk has for a couple of months been turning brown, a healthy brown tho like its turning into a real tree bark. Now from the top the leaves have withered and the stalk seems to be dying. All the tiny new leaves have died. I don't really see anything special on the leaves just that they are brown and brittle and look dead.

I can send photos if you give me an email address or something.

I'm very inexperienced with plants. This is the only plant I've ever had. I went to a plant shop and asked for help and the guy told me to just change its pot and soil before spraying it with copper oxychloride, problem is my German and his English was not really good enough for a real discussion about the situation.

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter.

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

Of course it's dying. You live in Climate Zone 6 and Avocados are from Zone 10+. It won't get enough light.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I agree with the advice from your German nurseryman. Repot into a really good fast draining potting mix. Most of our bagged mixes contain a lot of peat which breaks down in a year and makes a mix that will not drain when it gets wet, and if allowed to get too dry will not re-hydrate. Al

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

ifraser25 - I don't think for a minute that the OP is growing this outside. It will be indoors. Many people grow avocado plants from stones as indoor plants but purely as ornamentals. We know they won't fruit for us. Issues might be too dark, too warm, too dry air or overwatering. I would do what the local person recommended and then place the plant somewhere with as much light as possible without getting scorched by sun through glass. It also needs to be misted if the indoor air is very dry and not too hot. Keep it away from radiators and heating.

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your suggestions. My poor baby tree died tho. I will try again and this time I'll get it right. I wonder if anyone knows what is the best size pot to start with and when approximately would it need to be repotted.
    And also what is the function of the avocado flesh in nature? I meam wouldn't it be more natural if I just plant the whole fruit in soil?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

No, the whole fruit wouldn't end up in the soil self sown - weather, animals would break down/eat the pulp thus exposing the seed and allowing moisture to breach the seed coat, reach the embryo. Most fruit pulp contains germination inhibitors that will stop or greatly delay germination, I assume that's true of avocado flesh/pulp too.

• sheemak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks morz8. So I will just do it in a glass of water as before.
    What do you think will happen if I clip the roots a little after they have had a chance to grow? Would that help me have a smaller avocado tree?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

I think I'd leave the roots until they've had a chance to become well formed. Possibly when repotting at some point when it's quite a bit older you could consider root pruning then but I think that will be some time away.

Article here by one of our regular members on growing avocado indoors -

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado houseplant from seed by Trudi

• Marci Gerendash Stein
    6 years ago

I live in zone 9 and have a 3 year old avocado tree. It died back over the winter to 4” from the dirt it’s green. What can I do to get it to grow back. It’s in a very large pot. Direct sun.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz