Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
african iris seeds

Posted by Iplant2 austin TX (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 05 at 7:31

Can I grow african iris from the seeds they drop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: african iris seeds

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 25, 05 at 8:47

Yes. Some of the Dietes I planted are beginning to sprout this time of year.

o

Thanks, the plants are dropping so many seeds, but I thought they were a bulb only. Do I need to treat the seeds before I plant? Thanks again

o

They will reseed themselves and you can then dig the seedlings as you want for other places. I dig about 20 each year to pot up for plant sales. Very easy and forgiving if you neglect them. Al

o

I've had some of these for about 3 years and have yet to see a seed. I've seen the white flowers in the spring, I'm guessing that's when I should be looking?

o

Here, they drop so many seeds it's unbelievable...I've joked on my trade list that I have enough to stuff a beanbag chair if you wanted, but really, it's no joke! After the flower is done, there'll be a green pod which eventually will turn brown and split open. Sometimes the pod opens up almost in a tulip shape. Each pod has like 20-30 morning glory-sized brown seeds inside. They germinate wherever they land and look like wide blades of grass when they sprout. If anybody wants any, feel free to contact me! I can always find seedlings also...
Amanda 'romando'

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 1, 05 at 7:49

Looks like your question has been answered, Iplant2 seed treatment is not needed. I have seen posts where someone rooted theirs in a peroxide solution, but it was not necessary.

I like simple growing instructions. For these seeds:
Surface plant them, water them they will grow - plant a few now.

o

Amanda, I sent you an email!

o

amanda,
if you still have some, i would like to get some as well..
i will send you an email.
thanx
kirk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here