Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beautifulreddahlias

Bleeding hearts bound & determined!!!!!

Ok, so I know Bleeding Hearts only really like to reproduce through root cuttings but they produce seeds so it's not impossible. I have tried twice to grow the old fashioned pinks from seed both times with not so pleasing results. This year I'm trying with the fringe leaf hearts so we will see how this goes. If anyone has some tips I would love you for life! I will get this one of these times! Thanks!

Nina

Comments (6)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

THE SEED .... STORE AT 40f FOR 6 WEEKS & SOW THE SEED BEFORE ITS 6 MONTHS OLD.....
    lightly cover the seed soil temp 68-72F for germination which takes 4-8 weeks

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

I'll give you the suggestion from Druse, Making More Plants -

If not immediately fresh, sow seed moist warm 6 weeks, moist cold 6 weeks (this is approx 40F, not freezing), move to moist warm 6 weeks, followed by 55-60F for germination in additional 30 days or longer.

What's worked for me in my mild Z8 - buy the plant, sow the seeds within a day or two at most of harvesting. Leave seed pot outdoors where they will normally germinate in late winter.

• docmom_gw
    13 years ago

Wintersow!!! Check out the wintersown forum. People there grow Bleeding Hearts from seed all the time with excellent results. Detailed instructions in the FAQs.

Martha

• mccommas
    13 years ago

I will have to try that next year.

• Brooklynrose
    13 years ago

I haven't started bleeding hearts from seed, but the plants I have reseed profusely by themselves--at this point I'm running out of room for more plants and have to pull the new seedlings as weeds. So you might try buying one established plant from a local nursery and letting it reseed. These are the big old fashioned ones--the fernleafs don't seem to reseed. One new seedling turned out to be an alba, even though the original plant was classic pink.

• beautifulreddahlias
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you all for the great advice!!!!!!!!!