Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kennybellew

First time germinating seeds: Spinach and Lettuce

kennybellew
12 years ago

Last night, I started germinating two types of lettuce and some spinach. I wanted to type out what I did to see if I'm doing it correctly. I did try to read about it online, but I read a mixture of advice.

I'm germinating indoors for a deep-water culture hydroponic system I'm building.

1. I'm germinating in my basement, were the temperature is between 55F at night and 68F in the day.

2. I used Rapid Rooters, which I placed in a tray with a separate drain tray and humidity dome.

3. I prepared a gallon of water to ph 6.0, with 15 drops (which I think is 200 ppm) of FloraBloom, on recommendation I found online. I filled my spray bottle with this.

4. I placed two spinach seeds in each Rapid Rooter and several lettuce seeds in each other their Rapid Rooters.

5. I sprayed the Rapid Rooters with my mixture until they were saturated in their tray slots.

6. I covered the trays with the clear humidity dome.

7. I setup a two-bulb x four-foot 6500 Daylight florescent shop light directly above the clear dome.

8. I put the shop light on a timer of about 14-hours light to 10 hours of darkness.

Thoughts? Did I make mistakes for Spinach and Lettuce?

Comments (3)