Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting seeds

Posted by RetiredFlorida 9 (floridabeachportraits@gmail.com) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 10:46

Hi All,

Would like to share some seeds and of course some plants, make it very easy to understand when they are ok for harvesting and others, not so.

My sister in law has a Golden Rain tree which drops its little pinkish seeds pods all over my yard. Should I harvest these from the ground, small blackish shrived up seeds or take some off a branch which are much bigger but green?

I also have a Cassia Plant that I'm told will become a tree which has long, green bean looking seed pods that a very much green and look to be starting to swell. This is a new plant for me, when should I grab the seeds?

Thanks,
Happy Thanksgiving
Darren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting seeds

Any plant which produces pods is designed by nature to spread its seed by the pod bursting open. It will not do this until the seed is properly ripe. So you need to watch the pods until they are dry and on the point of opening naturally to get the ripest seed. For your Koelreuteria (I assume, rather than Laburnum) the seed has already been dispersed by the tree, so that would be the best to gather. Unless, of course it has dropped some substandard seed prematurely or the seed has been lying around a while in poor conditions. In which case maybe wait for the nice fat looking pods still on the tree to mature and then get them as soon as they fall.

o

Any plant which produces pods is designed by nature to spread its seed by the pod bursting open. It will not do this until the seed is properly ripe. So you need to watch the pods until they are dry and on the point of opening naturally to get the ripest seed. For your Koelreuteria (I assume, rather than Laburnum) the seed has already been dispersed by the tree, so that would be the best to gather. Unless, of course it has dropped some substandard seed prematurely or the seed has been lying around a while in poor conditions. In which case maybe wait for the nice fat looking pods still on the tree to mature and then get them as soon as they fall.

o

Thanks Flora, I kinda had that feeling after I sat, peeling open too many pods that I "took" off the tree. All the seeds were green and then I thought, that would be awful to offer someone seeds that were not viable. I just googled the tree again and saw a photo of the "ripe" seeds, being black.

Darren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here