Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Atropa Belladonna from seed

Posted by daftpunk Michigan (indoor) (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 11:12

I bought some Atropa Belladonna (deadly nightshade) seeds to try and grow for the beauty of the flowers (and no i don't have any kids or friends that might find curiosity in trying to eat any of it.), anyway, I tried once to grow some seeds and after a few months I pretty much determined failure at that attempt as nothing grew. So I'm doing a second attept with a standard potting soil with some calcisand from my terrarium (my reasoning for this is that I read in England it generally grows in high calcium soils, or limestones, etc.). Does anyone have any tips on growing this or the best way to start from seed? I'm new to propagating from seeds and i'm having a 50% success/failure ratio on them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Atropa Belladonna from seed

No pretreatment required. Lightly cover the seed soil temp 50F taking 21-30 days to germinate.

o

also should i water it daily or how often?

o

Could I keep it outside during the day and then bring it it at night? Would that be good? Since the ambient temp is between 45 and 55 right now?

o

Keep soil damp not wet & yes bringing it in in the evening is OK

o

Right now I have it by the window and it's cool to the touch. I'll see how this works.

o

My first belladonna plant died from over-fertilising (whoops!!), but the one growing now is doing OK. I wouldn't place any bets, but I think it would help to keep it indoors until it get truely established and then introduce it outside, slowly.

o

Belladonna is a balky seed. The best way to increase germination is to use a cold-water soak. Put the seeds in a small container of cold water you keep in the fridge for two weeks. Change the water every day. This simulates snow melt. Then plant either in sterile seed starting mix or using the baggie method. I have gotten faster germination by using this method.

In terms of growing, it will grow best in the ground next to a concrete building or wall. It likes the chalkiness from it. The roots get awful big and they seem to like to grow somewhat diagonally instead of straight down, so they will stay small in a pot.

o

H i I am a first time grower, I started germanation on 4-1-13, I keep soil moist I live in California and im not sure if temp is correct? should I pit in cold garage or inside,outside? Any input will help. thanks.

o

H i I am a first time grower, I started germanation on 4-1-13, I keep soil moist I live in California and im not sure if temp is correct? should I pit in cold garage or inside,outside? Any input will help. thanks.

o

Hello friend. I was searching Google and came across your post so I joined the forum so I could hopefully be of some help.

Ok first off it is not likely that you will get over 75% success rate on atropa belladonna but I have had success growing them so here's what I did.
First off you should get yourself a small bottle like an empty Tylenol bottle and put your seeds in it with some cold tap water.
Stick them in the refrigerator and every day for at least 2weeks poor out the water and replace it with more tap water.

After 2weeks put some run of the mill soil into an empty egg carton and and put your seeds on top of the soil. Then lightly cover the seeds with more soil and moisten the seeds and soil with water in a spray bottle.
Put them in a sunny window and keep the soil damp but not soaked and in about 2 weeks you should have more than 60% success rate on your germination. When the plants get established you can replant them either outside near your house close to the foundation. Or you can plant them in large pots but they will be smaller if grown in pots.

Hopefully this helps as I have had good success with this exact method.

o

Oh and if you need a reliable source for belladonna seeds. I bought mine from Horizon Herbs. I've had good success with their seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here