Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjzzyzoff

starting ornamentals waaaaay early

mjzzyzoff
10 years ago

I'm starting ornamental seeds for the first time this year, and while I'm quite familiar with veggies, (and there's so much info out there about them) I don't know a thing about stuff that's not edible. I'll be starting everything from hostas to coleus to grasses to native plants to perennial flowers and herbs. A little bit of everything, really.

I found a seed chart that lists starting dates for annuals and I'm sure I can find some for the perrenials, but I know I won't have room at the typical 6-12 weeks before last frost for all these seedlings along with my veggies so I'd like to start the ornamentals earlier. I'm planning to start my hostas now (as I know they take a while to get to transplant stage) and whatever else I can get away with. Also hoping I'll have some nice established plants for the plant swap in the spring.

I have 2 400w MH fixtures and the ability to swap them out for HPS. Also 4 regular shop florescents.

I'm thinking of using the grow lights to get them to large transplant stage and then slowing the growth by putting them under the shop lights. Is this crazy? Have I lost my marbles? Will this set them back more than the gain from starting so early?

Comment (1)