Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting ornamentals waaaaay early

Posted by mjzzyzoff 6oh (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 11:14

I'm starting ornamental seeds for the first time this year, and while I'm quite familiar with veggies, (and there's so much info out there about them) I don't know a thing about stuff that's not edible. I'll be starting everything from hostas to coleus to grasses to native plants to perennial flowers and herbs. A little bit of everything, really.

I found a seed chart that lists starting dates for annuals and I'm sure I can find some for the perrenials, but I know I won't have room at the typical 6-12 weeks before last frost for all these seedlings along with my veggies so I'd like to start the ornamentals earlier. I'm planning to start my hostas now (as I know they take a while to get to transplant stage) and whatever else I can get away with. Also hoping I'll have some nice established plants for the plant swap in the spring.

I have 2 400w MH fixtures and the ability to swap them out for HPS. Also 4 regular shop florescents.

I'm thinking of using the grow lights to get them to large transplant stage and then slowing the growth by putting them under the shop lights. Is this crazy? Have I lost my marbles? Will this set them back more than the gain from starting so early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting ornamentals waaaaay early

There's nothing wrong with starting some plants early (results may vary with different types of plants), but I wonder what you will gain. The plants that are grown early will still need light and even more space when they get big. What will you do with the ones you start early, while you are starting the next batch?

You might want to look into wintersowing some of your seeds so that they won't have to be started under grow lights, indoors. You could do some indoors and some outdoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here