Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valray_gw

Looking for a winter seeding project

valray
9 years ago

Hi, Usually at this time of year I am quite happy to take a break from gardening for a while. The seeding bug usually hits in January or February. Not a bad time considering our last frost date is end of May.

This year I feel like starting something now. So it needs to be something with a long slow growing period so they don't get out of hand before they can go outside. I have mostly shade in my garden so I'm looking for an annual or perennial suitable for that. I am going to start some native perennials from seed but most require cold stratification so that doesn't work to satisfy my craving right now.

I was thinking of Impatiens Namchabarwensis. Germination can take a month or more and I would think they wouldn't take up too much room for the first few months. I have a good grow light set-up but not a huge amount of room under them right now with all the plants that I've brought in from outside.

Anybody have any ideas? Is anybody else sowing seed right now?

Comments (14)

• amsonia2
    9 years ago

I started begonias and pansies in November. Last year was my first time trying begonia from seed. They grow really slow but are very rewarding when you see the finished plant and it blooms. They are also shade plants. It takes a while for them to germinate and they need to have humidity for some time while they grow. I got good advice from Brad's Begonia World. I've also started geraniums. Last year I wasn't too successful with them but the previous year they did well. The dragon wing begonia in my planter was a seedling, the dark chocolate mint coleus, and one of the other darker coleus in the planter. I do blog and post information on how my seedlings are doing. Impatiens, vinca, and coleus are easy from seed. Vinca takes a long time to grow but they're beautiful when full size and you don't need to pinch them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom Where You're Planted-Urban Gardening in Philly

• valray
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for those suggestions amsonia2! I really appreciate you taking the time and your ideas are spot on. Maybe some unusual begonias would be just the thing. Your garden is absolutely beautiful. I look forward to reading about your seedlings this fall and winter.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

How about hosta's? You can find the seeds online and maybe even through an exchange. I would be willing to send some for a SASBE but won't guarantee germination as the scapes were on them when I planted them as bare roots this fall.

Maybe Heuchera?

SCG

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

For hardy plants to grow without using light and heat you could investigate the Winter sowing forum here on GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing

• valray
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for those suggestions and the offer of hosta seed. I will definitely try some perennials this winter but was looking at this point for something that didn't need cold stratification.

9 years ago

FWIW, none of the suggestions require stratification athough I do freeze viola's seeds the day before sowing.

Floral's suggestion of winter sowing is great if you don't have room under lights or have them at all. I supplement my indoor seedlings this way. Although it is a good way to stratify seeds that need it, not all seeds that can be winter sowed need stratification.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

SCG

• valray
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks SCG.

9 years ago

wow late dbl post.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 17:27

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

I already have the bug. I'm winter sowing cleome and Easter eggplant in flats now, to go into the garage to cold stratify until February or so when they come inside for sprouting and growth under lights.

They'll go outside around May 15th (along with another 700 annuals I'll start this winter in January through early April) into my gardens.

• mandolls
    9 years ago

Ha !- I was wondering if people were starting seeds already. I have spent the last couple of days going through seed sites on line and making lists.

I have some Begonia and Lisianthus seed that arrived to late (back ordered) to sow last year, And am thinking about getting them going really early. I haven't been successful with begonias that I have tried in the past. I can get them to sprout, and most of them up to the size of a dime, and then they expire, maybe I am keeping them to wet, since I have had mold problems, also think I need a grittier mix for them.

If you can find some patches of sun, Lisianthus grow well in containers - and are beauties when they bloom. (5-6 months from sowing the seed)

• mccommas
    9 years ago

For several years I have been stratifying Beard Iris Seeds in my home and refrig. I have many plants now and the first ones I started should maybe maybe bloom for me in the Spring.

You can get the seeds from eBay sometimes from a gal named Lily. I just checked and she does not have anything right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I'm waiting for an order of coleus seeds to arrive that I plan to grow under lights this winter. They can be house plants, or can be planted outside once warm weather is here to stay. They are also shade loving, though can also tolerate sun. Good luck scratching your planting itch.

Martha

• ledouchebag
    9 years ago

Try some tree peonies. One year to form a root, another to sprout.

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Can you wintersow tree peony seeds? I have some that I bought on eBay last year.