Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Pink Peony Poppy seeds!

Posted by heavenlyfarm 6 (free2be_any1@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 12:11

Hi,
Just got these wonderful seeds in a trade!! I looked them up and they look so pretty! Now, how do I go about planting them? I probably will be winter-sowing these but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to press into the soil and not cover or am I suppose to cover these poppy seeds? Park seeds, said some require light and others darkness, so? Lol how do I plant these for the best results?!
~michael :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Pink Peony Poppy seeds!

Sow the seeds over bare or snow-covered ground. Spring melt will draw them into the soil. A cold period may improve germination and won't hurt. Soil should be deeply dug and open, as these plants do best where they can grow a long taproot.

o

Thank You!!! Beautiful Beautiful picture btw!!! I hope to have a nice section of just poppies this year! First time growing them so fingers crossed!! :)
~michael

o

I want some of the pink peony poppy seeds so bad please let me know if I could get some Thanks Judy

o

Judy---you can buy the pink peony poppy seeds at Park Seeds and they are only $1 per package of 100 seeds

o

And once you have them they will self sow. But bear in mind that these are Papaver somniferum (Opium Poppies) and some people in the US are a bit paranoid that they will get arrested for growing them.

o

floral_uk,
Are they really illegal in the US? Lol
~Michael

o

Some people seem to think so. Here are some threads from GW on the subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poppy legality

o

I hardly think legit seed companies would offer them for sale if they were illegal and many in the USA and Canada have them in their catalogues

o

Be discreet. Grow them in your backyard among your vegetables. They are more likely to attract thieves than to interest the police.

Here is a link that might be useful: more poppy pictures and growing notes on my gardening blog

This post was edited by kvbk on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 0:05

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here