Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

Growing Pink Peony Poppy seeds!

heavenlyfarm
10 years ago

Hi,
Just got these wonderful seeds in a trade!! I looked them up and they look so pretty! Now, how do I go about planting them? I probably will be winter-sowing these but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to press into the soil and not cover or am I suppose to cover these poppy seeds? Park seeds, said some require light and others darkness, so? Lol how do I plant these for the best results?!
~michael :)

Comments (9)

• kvbk
    10 years ago

Sow the seeds over bare or snow-covered ground. Spring melt will draw them into the soil. A cold period may improve germination and won't hurt. Soil should be deeply dug and open, as these plants do best where they can grow a long taproot.

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You!!! Beautiful Beautiful picture btw!!! I hope to have a nice section of just poppies this year! First time growing them so fingers crossed!! :)
    ~michael

• Judystovall59
    10 years ago

I want some of the pink peony poppy seeds so bad please let me know if I could get some Thanks Judy

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

Judy---you can buy the pink peony poppy seeds at Park Seeds and they are only $1 per package of 100 seeds

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

And once you have them they will self sow. But bear in mind that these are Papaver somniferum (Opium Poppies) and some people in the US are a bit paranoid that they will get arrested for growing them.

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

floral_uk,
    Are they really illegal in the US? Lol
    ~Michael

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Some people seem to think so. Here are some threads from GW on the subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poppy legality

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

I hardly think legit seed companies would offer them for sale if they were illegal and many in the USA and Canada have them in their catalogues

• kvbk
    10 years ago

Be discreet. Grow them in your backyard among your vegetables. They are more likely to attract thieves than to interest the police.

Here is a link that might be useful: more poppy pictures and growing notes on my gardening blog

This post was edited by kvbk on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 0:05