Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Layer of newspaper vs weed fabric vs cardboard beneath seedbed?

njbiology
9 years ago

Hi,

I'd like to hear different opinions as to whether I should use news paper, or weed fabric, or cardboard as underlay in the following situation:

I built a raised-frame seedbed for the purpose of sowing wildflower seeds; they will be grown there for a season under better controlled conditions, prior to being planted out.

I took a section of ground (23' x 6') and using wood planks, built a frame so that I can pour in about 2 to 3 inches of clean (weed-free) composted garden soil as the substrate for my wildflower seeds. I weeded away nearly all of the pre-existing perennial and annual plant vegetation; a few perennial grasses and such do remain under ground, ready to re-sprout in the upcoming spring.

Newspaper...
I'd just like to surpress the growth of any resprouting vegetation and the germination of any weed seeds that are in the soil long-enough for the wildflower seeds above to germinate and being to thrive. By that time, the surpressed vegatation should have died off and the weed seeds will be 2 to 3 inches under the soil, so being deprived of light and missing the spring, they will not be a problem -- I'd hope. They will be delayed behind the newly germinated wildflower, at least, if they do germinate once the news paper rots. The wildflowers' roots can go down after a few months of growth-- maybe the paper will have decayed by the summer -- the flowers' roots will penetrate hrough the newspaper, but the weedseeds and pre-existing vegetation would able to go up.

Cardboard...
I have plenty of available cardboard. The problem I see with this solution is I'd be concerned that the cardboard would not rot fast enough -- would it? The seed bed will receive plenty of water, so maybe it would.

Cheap quality weed fabric...
I prefer this best as it will be a lift-able barrier that I could LATER use in transporting the seedlings away. It will make retrieving them much easier. The roots can go down and I think it should last a season. I also have weed fabric.

Which is best?

Thanks!

Comments (2)