Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help on second attempt at strawberry from seed

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 14:34

I tried growing Beltran Strawberry from seed last year (purchased from Swallowtail Seeds) and I think I started them too late. Ordered on Apr 2nd, sowed in my garage on Apr 9th, germinated on Apr 18th, which eventually produced very small seedlings to transplant into row containers around May 15th. I did manage to get one or two tiny berries some time in July but that was it.

Since I'm learning from my mistakes, I would appreciate any advice on a good seed variety for Zone 6A/6B (Northern NJ) as well as suggestions for timing of sowing, feeding, transplanting, growing medium etc.

I'm not looking to make a bumper crop, just a couple of containers so I have something to nibble on from time to time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help on second attempt at strawberry from seed

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 15:21

Got to ask why? Alpine-types have so little flavor and no size when compared to normal strawberries and strawberry plants are so inexpensive and have 10x the success rate.

That said the previous discussion linked below has lots of how-to tips.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow Alpine Strawberries from seed

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 15:23

Bunch more discussions on how-to.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow alpine strawberries

o

I must be missing something here...I don't see where the OP mentions alpine strawberries. This is the website for the breeder of the Beltran variety

Here is a link that might be useful: ABZ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here