Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

yellow squash and zucchini varieties for containers

njitgrad
10 years ago

I am looking for an appropriate type of yellow squash and zucchini (perhaps vining?) to grow in 20 gallon geopots. Has anyone had success doing this? What varieties work best for you?

Do you direct seed or start indoors?

Also are squash favored by deer and other opportunists? Just want to see if I can keep my Geopots outside of my fenced-in garden to free up some room.

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

As a general rule vining types don't do well in containers simply because the edges and height of the containers cause the stems and leaves to break-over. Any of the many bush-type varieties do very well in a container that size. You can even hill the center and space 2-3 plants (depending on variety) in the same 20 gal. container.

Eight Ball, Cue Ball, Golden Delight, Parador, De Nice (ball) have all done very well for me in containers.

As a general rule ALL squash varieties are best direct seeded.

Deer? No, but rabbits and groundhogs love the fruit.

Dave

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly look into those varieties for sure and do direct seeding this year. I'll also keep them in my fenced in garden because I have a major rabbit problem in my neighborhood.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by hilling the center? Aren't the enormous leaves of a single one of these plants already large enough to fill in a single container? I can't imagine more than one per container. Unless the varieties your specified are way smaller than what I grew this year.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

"Hilling" is just building up a 6-10" high hill that is 8-10" in diameter in the center and planting the seeds spaced evenly around the top of the hill. Plant 5-6 seeds and then thin to the best 2-3 plants.

Most all squash varieties are planted in hills for several reasons - lets the soil drain faster since they don't like wet feet, lets the plants drape down the slope of the hill while still supported to avoid stem breakage (otherwise they tend to lean over from the weight and can break), and it gives you loose soil to bury any breaks or SVB punctures so the plant can keep going.

As to # of plants - it is root mass that is the issue. 1 in a 5 gal. does ok with lots of extra feed and water care but produces only a few. 1 in 10 gallons does great but needs some hand pollination for good production. In 20 gallons you can easily put 2 and and maybe 3. They produce well and help support each other and you get much better natural insect pollination. You can always remove 1 of them if it gets over crowded. I routinely grow 3 in my cut in 1/2 40gal plastic barrel planters.

Dave