Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeding schedule?

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 15:48

The following is my Indoor seeding time schedule plan for next year. does this sound about right for Zone 6A/6B?

March 15th - tomatoes, eggplant, annual flowers

April 1st - strawberries

April 15th - cucumbers, lettuce, herbs

I transplant into my raised beds on or shortly after May 15. Upon transplanting seedlings that were started indoors, I will also be starting the following from seeds directly in my raised beds at that time: bush beans, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash.

I welcome any proposed changes to this plan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeding schedule?

nijitgrad .... are you going to start under light, indoor?

General guideline for starting tomato, pepper, eggplant is 6 to 8 weeks before plant out time, which is usually last frost date.

I would start hot peppers and eggplants two weeks before tomatoes, b'c they grow at slower rate than tomatoes.

I will either direct sow or germinate things like cucumbers in Cold Frame, right around the last frost date. They germinate readily and grow fast. Plus, they are more cold sensitive than, say, tomatoes.

You can start lettuce as early as you can and plant them even few weeks before last frost date. They are considered COLD CROP.
The herbs, are not all the same. But I can treat chives, parsley, cilantro, arugula ... like lettuce. But Basil, marjarom needs much warmer air and soil temperature and often will die or get cold stress in cool weather even without frost.

Good luck !

o

So I'm pretty much in the ballpark. What is a cold frame?

o

good. This is a cold frame

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here