Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newb question: My seeds have sprouted, now what?

Posted by magnoliasouth 8b - Mobile, AL (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 16:00

I read the baggie method FAQ, but I'm still uncertain about a couple of things since, this is basil.

I have sprouted some seeds for indoor planting using the baggie method. I'm very happy that I have little babies growing. These are basil seeds, which we'll see if they grow. I have fairly good indoor conditions for this.

How much sprouting should I wait for?

When I plant them, do I put it just below the soil or on top? The FAQ says put the roots in there, but these are tiny.

Do I keep them slightly damp? And if I do, for how long?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newb question: My seeds have sprouted, now what?

I'm not sure what you mean about the baggie method but once the seeds have spouted to where there is an actually little stalk (not with the seed just cracking with a nub sticking out)you can transplant the seedlings into a tray or pot. Make sure the roots are facing downward and that the area where the seed is is just slightly buried under the soil. Be careful to be very gentle if handling and potting small seedlings as they are very delicate. once they are in a tray in pot you can water lightly to make sure the soil is moist but not soaked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here