Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variation in seedlings

Posted by garf (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 16:07

I do not understand this. I started a batch of tomato seeds and got a large variation in results in the same batch under the same conditions. What could account for this besides the vitality of the individual seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variation in seedlings

1) depth seed planted 2) amount of water as dries out quicker along edges 3) amount of light 4)

o

A plant has a very strong desire to continue the strain and to do so produces seed that does not all germinate at once. Seed companies work to produce seed that WILL all germinate together as this is what gardeners want. If in nature all of a plants seeds germinated together any problem could cause the loss of the species. If however some seeds were left not yet germinated, they would give the plant another chance. Al

o

All of those seedlings, whatever their size and appearance look as if they a really struggling. The green algal growth shows that the potting mix is too wet. Next time hold back on the watering a bit and I think you'll find the seedlings do a lot better.

o

Does this container have drainage?

o

• Posted by garf 10b/Fla. (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 22:08

The container has a large number of small holes, But I do tend to keep it wet. Probably too wet.

o

Hi Garf,
You are in Zone 10B; I am in zone 8b/9a in Fl. Just wondering why you are not growing these seedlings outside in your zone.
I am growing a lot of seedlings outside now - most in the ground and some in pots. I don't even try to grow them inside because of the bad luck I had. Air can get too dry; container does not have the right moisture; poor light, etc.
I gave up on seeds until I saw all of the volunteers I got in my garden. I thought that if mother nature can grow things from seed in my garden than certainly I can. So I grow seedlings outside, mostly directly sow in the ground. And if I have sensitive seedlings in containers, I bring them in when a freeze is expected.
I use bigger plastic pots; fill them with crumbled up plastics containers (prefer the 6 pacs that small plants come in) then add a layer of Miracle Gro seed starter soil. That way the seedling gets the dirt it needs plus great drainage and light, plus I don't waste a bunch of soil to fill the pot. (This comment really applies to zone 9 and up).
Bob

o

Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 21:35

I don't start anything inside. My main problem was rain drowning the starts. I still tend to keep the starts too wet. It's hard to judge when and how much water to add.

o

Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 23:57

I cut back a little on the water and it seemed to help. I'm still afraid if the babys drying out.

o

Almost all tomatoes sold today are hybrids (like we humans are all hybrids). So, unless very special precautions are taken, all the seedlings produced by cross-fertilization will be hybrids. Some will have blue eyes, some brown, some will be tall, others not. The only way gardeners can avoid this variation is by cloning. The natural method is a lot more fun....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here