Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for growing things in Arizona

Posted by TamTrible 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 16:18

I have a shiny new back yard, and I want to plant things, but I'm cheap and slightly broke. I live in Arizona, though the back yard gets fairly little if any direct sun (at least in winter, I don't know how much it gets in the summer). What seeds from grocery stores or the like have people had success (or instructive failures) in growing, and what of them is likely to be able to survive a Phoenix summer? (think 100+ degrees and extremely dry) I'm particularly interested in trying to grow a few shrubs or small trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for growing things in Arizona

I grew broccoli in winter. Started some seed about September and planted it out as soon as it got a few good leaves. I picked it much of the winter for raw broccoli in my lunch. I was able to grow Armenian Cucumber Seeds and Plants, Vegetable Gardening at Burpee.com in the summer.

o

Er... like I said, I was kind of looking for things I could grow from seeds at the grocery store. As in, not little packets of seed sold for planting, but seed sold as food or seed found inside fruit...

o

With care, you can grow citrus in your location. But citrus trees require fertilization and water.

You cannot grow grocery store coffee beans, rice, pepper corns, etc. (As asked by you in another forum).

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here