Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sun filtering and wind protection for hardening off seedlings

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 16:22

I'm gonna take the lazy approach on this one and see if I can purchase a mini greenhouse that I can put on my deck to harden off my six flats of seedlings next season.

See link below...does anyone use one of these? Does it filter out the intensity of the sunlight? Obviously I don't want my seedlings to get killed from hours of direct sun on my deck. But my primary concern was windy days. Will this do the job?

The plan every morning is to wheel out all six trays on my new cart (just purchased from Harbor Freight) and then put them in the mini greenhouse for the day (a little longer each day), then bring them in at night until the night temps are no longer a threat to them.

Alternate suggestions are welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5-Tier Mini Greenhouse

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sun filtering and wind protection for hardening off seedlings

Hi njitgrad,

Well, I've never had one of these so can't be a lot of help. The only thing I want to mention is that I've read other post about how easily they can be blown over. A good gust of wind could result in a disaster. Make sure you have it tied down or anchored to a wall somehow :-)

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here