Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcst25

Stella De Oro Seeds - Starting

jmcst25
13 years ago

New to starting from seeds, I want to fill in a large area with Stella De Or Daylily. I obtained seeds from this year and soaked in water and planted in jiffy expandables in a dome tray with a heat mat. 25% started, the rest nothing .... (when do I give up hope?)

So once they started growing, I removed them from the dome and letting sit in on window ledge. Most are growing well and green, however I have a couple that are growing, but they are not green - more yellow or white. What can I do to make them grow better? Also, I have them sitting on a window ledge, in PA winter. Should I move them to under a light, but it would have to be in a basement which does not get much natural light and would probably be a coulder air.

Also -- This was my first dry run. I have a bunch more to plant, I want them to get as big as I can as soon as possible for spring. Any suggestions on when to plant the rest of the seeds or a better way to do so.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• aquawise
    13 years ago

Did you give them a cold stratification period? Some Daylilies need a cold treatment to break there dormancy. I have a bunch outside right now getting there cold treatment so they will sprout come spring.If you have not chilled the then that could be why you see not sprouts. Stick them out in the cold for a few months or in the fridge. hope this helps.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Try 6 weeks moist cold before bringing back to warmer, or longer, 40F is cold enough. Germination of daylily seeds can be irregular, meaning not all seedlings will appear at approximatley the same time but could be scattered over many weeks. The seedlings you have now would probably do better under lights in a cool room than in window light in winter.

If you want to fill a large area with only Stella, you need to do it with divisions though. The hybrid daylilys may produce similar plants from their seed, or they could be something entirely different - hybrids don't come true from seed.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Just for grins & giggles I tossed some Stella seeds in a Ziploc bag with Perlite & a little water after reading about it on the daylily forum. Bingo! Two weeks later I had a dozen 2" daylily sprouts from a dozen seeds. I potted them up and set them in a south facing window. They grew to about 7-8 inches tall over the next couple of months before going dormant in December that year (2008). They came up again in the spring and grew on, adding another 3 inches in height. I transferred them to gallon pots which I set inside my garage last winter. This year they came up again and bloomed. Maybe I just got lucky but 100% germination seemed pretty good to me.

I also winter sowed daylily seeds of a pure white named variety 'New Falling Stars' and those germinated very well also.

• jmcst25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I did not try a cold... I stuck the remaining seeds in an envelop in the fridge. I'll try again in January. Hopefully that will be enough time to get the going for spring.

I realize they probably won't bloom this year, and i don't care if what they look like - I am just looking for a cheap way to fill in a large area with something that blooms alot.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

"remaining seeds in an envelop in the fridge". Dry?

That's only storage, in order for the chill to be helpful it must be moist. Either sow and refrigerate the pots, or put the seeds in a tsp or so in a tiny zip lock of moist (not soggy) sterile vermiculite or moist sterile sand....later you can sow the seeds, vermiculite and all.